[Terrapreta] water gas?

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 31 21:24:55 CDT 2008

Does anybody know if water-drenching very hot char, or injecting
water into a charcoal kiln to arrest carbonization is dangerous?

David Hirst wrote me:

"This is the recipe for what I believe is called "Water Gas" in
ironworks and a by-product
of making the coke used in blast furnaces. After coke is left once
heat has driven off
all the hydrocarbons in coal - leaving carbon, then steam (ie water)
is passed through
the coke, forming H2 and CO, a fairly high energy density gas, I
believe often used in
the blast furnaces."

Does anybody have any experience with what would happen?  Maybe just
a sizzling fizzle?

Gerrit