[Terrapreta] water gas?

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Mon Mar 31 22:39:24 CDT 2008

Gerrit,

Steam plus very hot charcoal = water gas (H2 + CO)

Nice gas indeed!

I think the old time forge people controled the charcoal fire with some
water plus air.

I can not say if what you want to do is dangerous or not. Too many variables.

Kindest regards,

Jeff

> Does anybody know if water-drenching very hot char, or injecting
> water into a charcoal kiln to arrest carbonization is dangerous?
>
> David Hirst wrote me:
>
> "This is the recipe for what I believe is called "Water Gas" in
> ironworks and a by-product
> of making the coke used in blast furnaces. After coke is left once
> heat has driven off
> all the hydrocarbons in coal - leaving carbon, then steam (ie water)
> is passed through
> the coke, forming H2 and CO, a fairly high energy density gas, I
> believe often used in
> the blast furnaces."
>
> Does anybody have any experience with what would happen?  Maybe just
> a sizzling fizzle?
>
> Gerrit

Jeff Davis

Some where 20 miles south of Lake Erie, USA