[Terrapreta] New Scientist: Burying trees to fight climatechange

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun May 4 00:53:00 CDT 2008

TerraPreta list etal:

    Sean asked several questions today in message received at 2:21 Denver time:  My answers in Bold below.  Note this is talking about an article by a Prof. Ning Zeng - not the Swedish article on forests.

Hi Ron,

5. [RWL1}   I think this tree burial approach could have legs in competition with biochar - because it is apt to be cheaper.

[Sean1}  This one you might need to explain.  How can burying trees deeply into the soil be cheaper?!

[RWL2a:  I wasn't clear enough.  I used "apt" because I am not sure of the economics.  But we are only talking about cutting and moving the logs a short distance (no over the road haul) and a bulldozer can make a relatively small hole pretty cheaply and cover and move on.  The article suggests one percent of the land ditsurbed every five years.  I don't think biochar can compete economically on that level.

Sean:   Do you want to discount the value of increased soil productivity to zero?

[RWL2b:  No - and that wasn't part of the argument in the article.  I hoped to make your exact point when I wrote:
6.  But the benefits appear lesser - because whole tree burial is much like putting the trees in mine shafts (but cheaper) - no continuing, out-year benefit stream.

Sean:  Do you need to ignore the potential economic benefits of harvesting renewable carbon neutral bioenergy?  Do you really believe that this world can afford to ignore the economic benefits of reducing CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere?

[RWL2c:  Same response.  I wasn't clear enough.  I don't want to ignore these aspects.]

 Sean:  Do you really think less energy is required to dig a deep hole to put trees into and refill it than to incorporate charcoal into the top 15 cm of soil?

[RWL:   Yes.   but I don't think one should take that path, just because it takes less energy (including human energy) and might make more money if we value Co2 sequestration too little.

Sean:  When did you decide that biochar had now advantages other than a possible carbon sequestration mechanism?

[RWL2:  About 6 years ago, if I understand your question.]

RWL1:  Based on the first year results, tree burial wins, I'll bet.

Sean:  I'll take that bet, any day.  All I would need to do is pyrolyze the trees, harvest some energy, leave some charcoal, and never bury any of it deeply and I can guarantee that I will sequester more char for less expense than those who dig deep holes and bury whole trees.  The only significant problem to solve here is to pyrolyze the trees without releasing and Methane.

[RWL2:   The key words in my sentence were "first year".  Tree burial locks up 100% of the CO2 (or C) for a long time (according to Zeng).  Biochar locks up 50% at best. Zeng also argues that mature trees are not taking CO2 out, and that you don't want to let them fall and rot in the forest.  These points are also in his favor.  Not sure how you win the bet.

    My hope is that Zeng will learn about biochar (I could find no mention of biochar by Zeng anywhere, including his personal home page) and come to the same conclusion that you and I (and near everyone on the list) have.  The soil improvement aspect is critical.
     I wanted to comment on the Zeng paper In support of Laurens and Peter below, because the burial concept was new to me and a potential competitor to TP/biochar and because i had found the original paper.   If  the carbon credit community give attention only to the first year C reduction, I still feel his appraoch will be cheaper.  I repeat "first year".]     Ron