[Terrapreta] Press release: limitations on charcoal as a carbon sink

andrew list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Mon May 5 04:44:05 CDT 2008

On Saturday 03 May 2008 18:23, Ron Larson wrote:
> 4.  The results are explained below - the biochar accelerated,
> rather than retarded C release - which I didn't want to hear.

I cannot see why you didn't want to hear this one, it didn't say the
char was respired in any way did it? If not it simply demonstrates
that the char increases microbial activity doesn't it? Okay so the
time constant of decay of humus shortens its life in the soil but
many tropical soils do this, the trade off might be that it's
necessary to maintain active growth with a continuous cover system??

AJH (not a gardener)