[Terrapreta] Char sizes

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Tue May 6 04:31:13 CDT 2008

Max-------Richard Haard tried the cement mixer on some charcoal that
we made and found it to hard to break up. For that batch of charcoal
the "landscaper two-step" (stomp-stomp) was used on a concrete floor
to greater effect. Since then we have observed that charcoal that has
been "wetted" allows the charcoal, on most pieces, to break apart
fairly easy with one's fingers. No, we will not used our fingers to
do the next cord-plus batch of charcoal. I need to try wetting more
charcoal in different ways to get a sense of what I like best. The
wetting process, I believe, is an important part of the results that
I had.

Over a period of eight months I plucked pieces of charcoal from the
Weber grill and threw the pieces in a pile on the ground (well rotted
wood chips) on a weekly basis. This occurred over three maritime
seasons, two of which were wet. With a minimum of human urine (three
or four times) used as fertilizer, the charcoal and charred wood laid
on the ground. I was impressed with the rich human scent when the
small pile was pick-up and transfered to the garden bed. I had no
idea the strength of urine... the rain did not wash the urine away.
The scent indicated to me that the charcoal had absorbed some urine
and it is possible that it help to wet the charcoal.

During the early spring Richard and I dug around in this garden bed
and found charcoal that was still dry. Rain water and soil had not
saturated the piece of charcoal. This piece of charcoal may have not
laid on the ground but came from the Weber. Again, this points to
something else that assisted in the wetting process... urine?
Bellingham gets around 35" (90 cm) per year.

Yes, I will get more serious about recording data. Numbers are
other's strong point. This is a fun exercise to work on and who knows
we may help to lower the percentage of atmospheric CO2. I will sleep
on that thought... be well-------Larry