[Terrapreta] Composting with worms-- another sustainability lessonfrom Cuba

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 7 06:20:49 CDT 2008

Michael,

There is the possibility of some confusion from various quotes on this page:

a)       I'm a very firm believer in earthworms and composting worms, with
around 150kg of the latter munching away on cow poo and organic waste on my
farm

b)       The note on David Murphy's book mentions earthworms, not composting
worms

c)       There are substantial differences between earthworms and composting
worms, including:

-          earthworms inhabit from the surface to depths in excess of 1
metre

-          composting worms operate only in the first few inches of the
soil/litter layer

-          composting worms eat their own weight per day, maybe 10 times
more than earthworms eat.

-          both require moist conditions - relatively easily achieved at 1m
depth but not so easy at 5cm. This restricts considerably the use of
composting worms in open fields

-          both require temps between 15 and 25degC, again easier at depth
than on the surface. A mild frost would devastate composting worm
populations

-          if composting worms are short of feed or moisture then they lay
an egg and wither away. The egg hatches when good conditions return.

-          to maintain (and increase) composting worm populations then they
have to be fed. Very few farmers have the capacity to find 1 tonne of
organic waste to feed 1 tonne of worms per day. Obviously setups like
feedlots offer better opportunities.

I'm not aware of any acreage agriculture that uses composting worms in
fields. Just the logistics of feeding them precludes this, irrespective of
what can happen if it doesn't rain for a month or the temp drops below
freezing. Certainly the use of worm castings and worm tea derived from
dedicated worm farms is of substantial benefit to soil. Normally these worm
farms are under cover, or if in the open the windrow-style rows have enough
bulk to modify low temperatures.

So, yes:

-          composting worms can play a huge role in converting organic waste
to useful soil additives, and reduce landfill problems

-          ditto for animal manures and human waste

-          the resulting vermicast and vemicompost are very useful soil
additives

but:

-          I'm not aware that composting worms can play a significant role
in C sequestration

-          however, earthworms can and do. In fertile soil there may be over
1 million earthworms per acre.

And:

-          applications of fertilisers, insecticides,  fungicides and
herbicides decimate worm populations and

-          absence or presence of earthworms is the simplest and quickest
test for the health of a soil

Herewith a link to an Australian town using composting worms successfully:

www.lismore.nsw.gov.au/cmst/lcc002/view_doc.asp?id=3190
<http://www.lismore.nsw.gov.au/cmst/lcc002/view_doc.asp?id=3190&cat=101>
&cat=101

And for some more detailed photos:

www.lismore.nsw.gov.au/cmst/lcc002/view_doc.asp?id=3191
<http://www.lismore.nsw.gov.au/cmst/lcc002/view_doc.asp?id=3191&cat=101>
&cat=101

Max H

PS: I'm mixing char with worm castings and letting the mixture stew for a
few months. I'm hoping that this will hasten the integration of the char in
the soil when I later incorporate it, and that the addition of worm castings
will be an alternative solution to having to add artificial fertiliser.

  _____