[Terrapreta] Can Terra Preta Compete?

Gerry Kutney gkutney at all-woodfibre.com
Wed May 7 09:51:54 CDT 2008

BIOCARBON:  Can Terra Preta Compete?

Those of us in the biocarbon industry (i.e., those that have
manufacturing facilities for biocarbon and are marketing the material)
watch with great interest the countless articles on terra preta.  We are
concerned, though, about the misunderstanding of the value of biocarbon.
The biocarbon, itself, is discussed as almost a waste product that is
worth a few dollars per ton.  Biocarbon has inherent value as a
renewable energy pellet, with an energy content of 30 GJ/te, which is
similar to coal and almost double that of a wood pellet.  Recently, a
Korean steel manufacturer was reported to be paying over $300 per tonne
for coking coal.  If coal can be valued so highly, how much higher in
price should be a renewable (GHG neutral) replacement for coal, i.e.
biocarbon?  An even higher valued market opens when the biocarbon is
activated.  An important environmental role for activated biocarbon is
to remove mercury contamination from flew gas in coal-fired power
plants.  While costs increase to activate the material, selling prices
are often in excess of $1,000 per tonne.

This wonder of nature appears to have amazing impact on plant growth and
has a significant carbon negative footprint.  However, studies in
someone's backyard or flower garden, do not supply the rigour that
government agencies demand to prove the agricultural benefits of new
products.  Extensive field trials are required to prove and quantify the
benefits of TP.  The issue is especially important for terra preta since
it does not fit the standard mold of an agricultural product.  It is not
a fertilizer or nutrient, yet it stimulates plant growth.  This
agricultural catalyst will likely be thus put under even closer
regulatory scrutiny; more reason to get proper field trials under way.

We, at Alterna Energy (www.alternaenergy.ca), are investigating carrying
out such field trials on terra preta in Australia, and we will shortly
be promoting such trials in Canada.  These trials will only begin to
quantify the benefits of terra preta.  For the terra preta genii to be
released from its carbon bottle, many soils in varying climatic
conditions must be tested.  In the meantime, Alterna Energy continues to
market its biocarbon as carbon-neutral, bioenergy pellets.  We eagerly
await the opportunity to build plants around the world to supply a
future agricultural market.

In the end, the success of terra preta will depend on demonstrated
agricultural and environmental benefits, and competing market demand.
Biocarbon is an amazing substance; so much so that various industries
will be vying for its almost magical abilities.  We will have to see if
terra preta can compete?  In other words, will the field trials
demonstrate to the agricultural community and related government
agencies that terra preta is worth, at least, what competing industries
are willing to pay for it.  Of course, we all hope that it can.

Gerry Kutney

Chief Operating Officer

1-250-649-2459