[Terrapreta] Can Terra Preta Compete?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu May 8 14:28:18 CDT 2008

Hi David,

You can make fertilizer from fossil fuels like coal (to syngas, to ammonia, to ammonium nitrate, ammonium bicarbonate, ammonium sulfate, etc.)
That is how industrial fertilizers are made.  Fossil fuel feedstocks for industrially produced fertilizers do currently support agriculture worldwide.  These fertilizers have lead to the greatest degradations and threats to agricultural land so far and there is no sign that there use will stop, not even with the demise of fossil fuels.  Yes, other uses of biomass carbon do exist and will compete strongly against burying it into the soil.