[Terrapreta] Can Terra Preta Compete?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 8 16:16:45 CDT 2008

Dear David

David Yarrow wrote:
> i'm not sure gerry (and too many others) grasps what we are dealing
> with here. the idea terra preta must compete with other uses for
> biocarbon ignores a stark, uncompromising reality: you can't eat coal,
> and you can't drink gasoline. or money. we're talking about soil
> fertility and food supply.

Another stark uncompromising reality is that someone operating a
Charcoal Manufacturing Business must make money from Charcoal sales to
stay in business.

Still another stark uncompromising reality is that the Grower must make
money as a result of his investment in the charcoal.

If the "fuel market" can afford to pay $200 per tonne, then the cruel
reality is that the Agriculture Market must also pay $200 per tonne.

If the Farmer decides that he can only afford to pay $150 per tonne,
then the fuel market will get the charcoal. If there is an adequate
Carbon Credit being offered as an incentive to use charcoal in the Soil,
then the Farmer can afford to buy charcoal.
> the real challenge here is if we as a society finally become wise
> enough to realize how precious fertile, productive, food-growing soil
> is -- community by community, nation by nation, and worldwide. and
> make a commitment to do whatever must be done to preserve this
> precious, irreplacable resource, and assure abundance for endless ages
> and generations.

If charcoal is too expensive, then he will have to find other ways to
save or improve his soil.
> lots of folk -- including political and business leaders -- are waking
> up to this simple choice: food, or energy? corn, or ethanol? already
> we are seeing food riots and strikes in many nations as poor
> communities scramble to find food, or affordable food, or nutritious,
> healthy food.

Sure, there are problems. However, the job of the Charcoal Maker is to
make charcoal. It is the job of the Grower to produce food. Perhaps if
the Politicians removed the subsidy on ethanol production there would be
more corn available for food? It is very wrong to ask the Charcoal
Producer to take less for his charcoal so that the Government can
continue to subsidize the ethanol market.
> but if this essential value of feeding our communities isn't
> sufficient to distinguish terra preta as a top priority use for
> biocarbon, terra preta offers several bonuses not offered by other
> purely industrial uses, including:
> 1) soil microbes function as a global flywheel to stabilize earth's
> composition of gases
> 2) soils with abundant microbial food webs and organic carbon filter,
> purify and conserve groundwater
> 3) terra preta creates nutrient dense soils able to grow nutrient
> dense foods to mitigate our epidemic of degenerative diseases

True. Now who is going to pay the Charcoal Producer the difference
between the "fuel price" for charcoal, and what the Farmer is willing to
pay for the Charcoal?
> so, i suggest we think more deeply about certain biological and moral
> imperatives that underlie our work: food, and the allocation of
> resources to produce enough food to feed our communities when oil hits
> $150/barrel, and climate and weather get extreme, unpredictable and
> unstable. the question should be reframed from "can terra preta
> compete?" to "what priority must we place on agricultural uses of
> char?" and "how to we enforce this priority for food-producing soil?"

There are few things better than money to enforce priorities. It worked
for Ethanol. ;-)
> this leads us to other critical questions:
> "how do we incentivize and encourage farmers to produce biomass for
> biochar & biofuel?"
> and also "how to we enlist farmers to become biochar producers?"
> and third "how do we get growers to recycle a percent of annual
> biochar produced back into local soils?"

Show the Farmers the facts about biochar. If it is advantageous, they
will use it, and if not they won't. Monetary support is an excellent
incentivizer, if necessary.
> when we start answering these questions, i'll believe i'm living in a
> society that is successfully making enough sense to assure its
> survival in the challenges ahead. currently, i have deep doubts and
> mistrust that humans have enough common sense and ecological
> intelligence to make it through the next century.

If Biochar is as beneficial as we would all like it to be, then perhaps
there is no problem. If a tonne of biochar brings the Farmer $500 in net
benefits, but the fuel Customer can only pay $200 per tonne, then the
Farmer will get all the Biochar he wants.

Until we have cost and benefit figures for the use of charcoal in
agriculture, then we have no valid basis for concern.

Best wishes,

Kevin