[Terrapreta] homemade biochar!!

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Thu May 8 14:35:50 CDT 2008

my friend dan kittredge stopped by yesterday after a day-long training session in writing SARE grants.  he brought a gift of two big bags of very nice looking charcoal.  and he bought three 75# bags of sea minerals.

dan manages a farm in concord, NH, and is clearing lots of brush this spring.  he says he piles the brush up, wood material on the bottom.  he fires up each pile, gets it burning brightly, then throws weeds and wet leaves over the glowing fire, and then waters it down with a hose.  i will ask him if he can capture a few photos depicting the logistics of his process.

i am impressed by the amount and qualty of his biochar.  seems his yield is higher than i expected, and i broke off a few 3 inch diameter branches to see it is charred completely to the core.

i have an enclosed bed in my patio which is my kitchen salad garden.  the soil in this bed is already full of organic compost and remineralized with rock powders and sea minerals.  i'll bust up dan's biochar, add it to sections of this bed, transplant my greens and herbs into this bed, and watch what grows this summer.

for my part, i am assisting daniel to develop his strategy and tools to initiate a "nutrient dense" food campaign, and begin marketing certified "nutrient dense" foods in 2009.

for a green & peaceful planet,
David Yarrow
44 Gilligan Rd, E Greenbush, NY 12061
www.championtrees.org