[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sat May 10 22:57:39 CDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

You have it right if you are suggesting that to get the full benefits of
char one must have a complex system and be a soils scientist, to boot.

I'm looking for the rhythm method here; something that cuts across the
bandwidth of agricultural technology and chemical analyses. A few simple
rules, as it were. If we have to go high-tech to get optimal or even
measurable benefits then char is probably DOA.

The Western World has an addiction to technology. Injecting anhydrous
ammonia into the soil was pretty radical in its day. But what an immediate
effect! It's doubtful that even the most deliberate char application system
will have the same kinds of self-obvious effects. Does that mean we
shouldn't bother? Hardly! But it may be time to temper the optimism; at this
point, our lack of knowledge seems to outweigh what we are certain of (which
seems to be limited to the fact that carbon can be sequestered for some
centuries).

Mark