[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat May 10 23:25:59 CDT 2008

Hi Mark,

Simpler methods which maybe are not as immediately effective but will build improvement over time rather than show immediate vast improvements and degradation over time are maybe more likely to appeal to non-western agronomists, perhaps.  Immediate gratification is very American and very Big Business.  This fits right in with the argument that Biochar is against the "American Way of Life".   That argument has been made here.  "Unless its immediately competitively profitable for American farmers, then it will not be adopted here or by anywhere else in the world."  I don't buy that.  Another hurdle is that some American farmers think carbon sequestration is a crock and that the TP concept has to be sold entirely to them based on immediate agricultural benefits and immediate cost benefit returns for them.

Investment is a dirty word for some who are struggling economically.  They view immediate profits as the only remedy for their plight.  I have to admit that this argument compels many many struggling American farmers (as least many of the ones who have posted in here).  Perhaps it is not a widespread belief.   I don't like being chastised for suggesting a change in philosophy on this, but I am likely to get more for having said what I just said.