[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sun May 11 11:09:54 CDT 2008

For quite some time, it's been known by rifle shooters that chrome plated barrels, stand up to the wear and tear of the bullets allot longer than non plated barrels.

The thing that makes it an expensive issue for rifle barrels, is the fact that it must be put down in a very thin layer, with exact tolerances the entire length of the barrel - with other ( less exacting ) parts, the process get's significantly cheaper as the tolerances don't need to be as close.

Just make the parts so that they can easily be removed and re-plated as needed and you save on the cost of needing special metal alloys.   Nickel is another possibility, as it has a level of self lubrication not found in other common metals.

Greg H.