[Terrapreta] horse manure

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 12 08:47:52 CDT 2008

Hi Jack,

Yes Jack, I think it is biochar and probably very nutrient rich biochar at that.  If you got some pictures, send some to this site, to Tom Miles.
You could maybe also contact Christelle Braun (on this list) if you want to inform us more about your observations.  She would be more than happy to have you enter anything into the database she is maintaining.

There is one issue, which you may not be aware of, but your description of "smoldering for months" brings it up.  The issue is that a smoldering pile of horse manure probably released huge amounts of Methane-CH4 gas when you did that.  The manure may well have released huge amounts of Methane-CH4 even if it had been left alone, un-burned.  Methane-CH4 releases into the atmosphere are a very potent "green house gas" (GHGs are gases that cause the "green house warming" effect).  Although conversion of horse manure into biochar may make a great soil amendment, it is very advisable that the actual conversion of the horse manure into biochar should not be done in the "open-air" like you have done.

It is great to read of your independent experience with the fertility benefits of biochar in soil.  Please stay with us on this list.  Read the archives on this site and continue to make your commentary contributions via E-MAIL postings.