[Terrapreta] Plant reaction to stress

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 12 10:45:26 CDT 2008

Hi Nikolaus,

I really appreciate your "on the spot" comments.  You are in a somewhat unique position, with probably a very healthy agronomist's experience and direct involvement so much with agricultural production.  You make a very interesting point here about how the human species acts when under stress.  This may help answer for the reasons why humans are such an adaptable species.  We might possibly benefit from more forward looking and concern for the well fare of future generations of our species.  I think so.  This "fend for yourself and only the others now around you" mentality smacks of selfishness and minimal effort to me.  It is the the good old "American Way of Life", heh?!  It might be good for plants or more primitive animal species, who need only for themselves to survive, or can't think of or beyond their own living existence.  But, I think that humans working for the benefit of the yet to be conceived and born other humans is a good thing and perhaps one of the greatest tools that humans can use to survive as species.  Wouldn't it be great if we could train other species to do likewise?  Better yet, train other species to support our lives better, because we support theirs.  Maybe some of the people involved in animal husbandry think they are doing this already?

I doubt we will educate plants to this sort of "altruistic" career.