[Terrapreta] (tire pyrolysis)

James Thomas jthomas at yakama.com
Mon May 12 11:17:28 CDT 2008

Re: the tire pyrolysis question:  A company headed by a New Zealand
Environmental Scientist  is attempting to do this very thing locally
here in Washington State; with  "Carbon Black" as a market product
syngas used to fuel the process once it gets going good and hot
(parasitic consumption) and the remainder used to generate electricity
for the grid and the biooil for market. They were planning on sinking
about $25 million into the process. Many people would be employed; air
pollution control would be a key point; all kinds of good things
environmentally were proposed. But in reality the NIMBY (Not in my
backyard) mental paradigm squelched the proposal, at least temporarily.

With regard to the steel in the steel belts it was proposed that  the
tires would come in in bales, then chipped , then subjected  to
pyrolysis and the steel chips collected after pyrolysis . I am not sure
how the char and steel would be separated, but it appears not to be too
much of an obstacle, I suspect that the char would simply crumble away
from the metal chips. Bottom line is this is already being thought of as
a way to reuse all of the waste tires in Washington State and
entrepreneurial spirit is attempting to make it happen. But the NIMBY
effect is limiting the potential.

It has been suggested to put in this type of facility well away from
populated areas, but my question is " if this is proposed, where would
the employees live? Do you expect employees to live in an isolated
community way out in the desert, just so they can have a job with no
other life or other "benefits of civilization"? Sounds like the chorus
in the old "Tennessee" Ernie Ford song about sixteen tons of coal per
day being the miner's output:   "I owe my soul to the company store". Or
do you expect them to commute or take a shuttle daily from a population
center? Then where is the proposed environmental benefit of less overall
fuel consumption?  Pyrolysis obviously needs a better public relations
effort to be accepted by the public. People just don't have an
understanding that pyrolysis of tires or medical waste or gasification
or any of the other similar processes is not the same as "Burning Tires"
. The burning tire image reinforced on the mental video screens by
images of Palestinian youths burning tires in protest of political
actions is permanently  embedded in the mental paradigm of most modern
urbanites, in my opinion. "Pyrolysis" is just a big  fancy word for more
pollution  in this mental paradigm.