[Terrapreta] (tire pyrolysis)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 12 12:17:58 CDT 2008

Hi James,

Wow! That NIMBY thing just bites.  It squelches many unconventional and environmentally beneficial alternatives.  There is no wind farm off the coast on the eastern seaboard because of NIMBY (and its not even in their back yards).  There is a Senator from a state with little or no wind resource, who claims that the unsightly nature of wind turbines offends the aesthetic sensibilities and the livelihoods of too many people to be acceptable in any other state, even outside his district (where there will never be wind farms).  Tidal power has been stymied by people who want their ocean views undisturbed.

I think NIMBY used to crush technological innovation with energy is self-serving, too conservative, and immoral in this day and age.

Pyrolysis is the thermal decomposition of carbonaceous matter in an oxygen limited environment.  It has greatly reduced emissions versus complete combustion (burning), a great array of potentially useful products, and it is by definition much cleaner than burning (lower overall emissions).  Many of the products from pyrolysis can be used as direct replacements for what are now petrochemical products.  Waste management using pyrolysis can be much cleaner from an emissions standpoint than refining of petroleum into petro-chemcial products and fuels now is.

Charcoal, which has a similar energy density to mineral coal, is made via pyrolysis of biomass (mostly from biomass with high content of lignin, cellulose, or hemi-cellulose), and if burned for its energy content would not emit the same high levels of mercury, cadmium, radioactive isotopes, or carcinogens and pyto-toxins as does the burning of fossil mineral coal.  Burning charcoal made using pyrolysis would be way better than continuing to burn fossil coal, because the CO2 emissions from burning charcoal are "carbon neutral", whereas those from burning fossil coal will only continue to increase the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere (very "carbon positive").

Making charcoal from wastes and biomass, then amending charcoal into soil, puts carbon directly out of the atmosphere and into the ground in near permanent, sequestered storage.  Pyrolysis of wastes and biomass coupled with "Terra Preta"-like formation of charcoal enhanced soils would be a very highly "CARBON NEGATIVE" practice.

The world needs "CARBON NEGATIVE" practices now, more than ever.

We MUST be ever vigilant, though, that pyrolysis of biomass into charcoal, to make "CARBON NEGATIVE" TP soils can never be used to justify (through emissions offsets) the continued use of fossil carbon fuels!  The world also desperately needs to STOP the continued consumption of fossil carbon resources and the consequent emissions of billions of tons of "CARBON POSITIVE" fossil sourced CO2.