[Terrapreta] subscribe

May Waddington may.waddington at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:41:11 CDT 2008

My name is May Waddington, and I am a PHd antrhopologist. I have worked in
the amazon for many years with an indigenous tribe, and in Northeast Brazil
with traditional groups such as the babassu women and andiroba women.

Over the last 4 years I made a major turn on my life, leaving Rio de
Janeiro, purchasing 400 hectares of land in a region which is a
mixture of *caatinga
*and *cerrado,  *the Buriti Doce farm. I am employed at a small state
college nearby.

I have been running a series of agro-ecological experiments in this land. In
preparing to plant 10 hectares of *bixa orellana  a*nd pineapple, we tested
some *slash and burn* practices which are considered less harming (*queimada
de toco vivo)*. This technique, includes several security measures, selected
trees are cut in a way they will re-grow, and the most wood is saved for
other uses. We made 20 traditional ovens to produce charcoal in the area,
which burned for a week or so (see pictures - the wood is covered in earth
with an opening on each end of the *caeira*).

The innovation was accompanied by the *IBAMA* (National environmental
agency) and was used to teach local farmers. It resulted in some 1000 kg of
charcoal, which I have been resisting to sell.

I want to ask you if my charcoal can be used as Biochar. I would also like
to volunteer the farm as an experimental area for anyone who may wish to
study this production in this climate/soil conditions.

As you must know, the State of Piauí is pioneering biodiesel production, and
there are major plants in the neighborhood.

In case you show any interest, I can deliver written materials to you.
Please see pictures of the traditional charcoal making ovens.

--
Proteja o meu email como eu protejo o seu! Não facilite a captura de
endereços para o envio de SPAMS. Utilize o Cco para replicar mensagens. Não