[Terrapreta] Brix levels

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue May 13 07:47:04 CDT 2008

Hi Max,

I've used Brix measurements before only once, when I was working as a vineyard manager.  When Brix were low (~19) in the Zinfandel grapes, the winery buying the grapes had us cut fruit from the vines.  These were used in White Zinfandel wine.  After a couple of weeks, the Zin grapes reached a brix measurement of ~21.5, which were then harvested for Red Zinfandel wines.

Is it possible the changes in barometric pressure are detectable by plants and because these proceed the arrival of storms, that this is how plants "know" to move sap down to their roots.  I tend to resist attempts at anthropomorphism of plants.  Plants don't think, know, feel, or act like animals or people.  Plants are also not magical in my estimation.  Plants are, however, almost alien to us in terms of the physiologies they possess and how this works.