[Terrapreta] why we must relate to cap and trade

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed May 14 12:28:42 CDT 2008

Dear Lou

lou gold wrote:
> Sean,
> ...del...
> But my point was not to discuss policy alternatives but to point out
> that right now the biochar movement does not have the power of
> supportive metrics. I hope that this can be corrected.

Right on! We need the metrics... how much does char cost for a given
benefit...  If we had some good numerology, showing that people could
actually make money by adding charcoal to the soil, then people could
indeed become enthused about Biochar and "New Terra Preta."

The spreadsheet that I posted at

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/chisholm051308

gives one a perspective on how much or how little money we are talking about.

Can you put in two test plots, one with biochar, and one without, and report back with your results in teh Fall?

Real numbers such as you can provide will be of great help in promoting Biochar, if indeed it is sensible to use biochar as an agricultural investment.

Best wishes,

Kevin