[Terrapreta] "New Terra Preta" Test Plots

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed May 14 12:40:51 CDT 2008

As Lou mentioned we need "Biochar Metrics."...

Given that:
1: There are approximately 300 people on the Terra Preta List,
and
2: This is the start of the Growing Season for the Nothern Hemisplere
and
3: Biochar usage in the soil would benefit from real world testing and
yield results
and
4: There are some exceedingly competent growers and scientific minds on
the TP List
and
5: Christelle is chafing at the bit to collect such test results,

could someone on the List propose a test protocol that we could all
follow, and report the results to Christelle?

I would conceptually pose for consideration something like 2 test plots,
1 M^2, one with char and another otherwise identical plot without char.
The crop could be anything... beans, radish, flowers, corn, etc....
whatever the person running the test wanted to grow. I would pose an
addition of 5% charcoal, in that others suggest a possible declining
benefit after about 7% Charcoal would be tilled in to the desired total
depth.

1: Is anyone else interested in doing such a test?
2: Could someone propose a "Test Protocol" we could all follow?

Best wishes,

Kevin