[Terrapreta] Whats going wrong??? Re: why we must relate to cap and trade

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 15 08:41:38 CDT 2008

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kevin, Lou,
>
> I do respect your thrust here, that the use and adoption of Terra
> Preta as a widespread practice, will require for many people, that it
> show clear signs of being both agriculturally beneficial and
> economically viable.  When I can generate any valuable data I will
> endeavor to help you fill in some of the blanks on your spreadsheet,
> Kevin.  I believe you are correct too, about the need for "numerical
> metrics".
>
> Folke Gunthur sent an E-MAIL posting to this list last night with the
> subject line ...
>
> *Re: [Terrapreta] Atmospheric CO2 Hits 387ppm*
>
> I posted a response to this list about Folke's posting, pointing out
> the implications of this rather alarming development in the
> observational data.
> NO ONE ELSE responded and now it is just a lame, dead-end thread
> between Folke and I, I guess ...

Well, consider yourselves fortunate that you only have one thread that
fell flat! I am sure that you will have great pity and sympathy for me,
who has had not 1, but TWO threads in as many days fall flatter than
roadkill.

1: Spreadsheet for Calculating Basic "New Terra Preta" Economics
5/14/2008 9:25 AM:
I thought this would be helpful to people interested in doing Terra
Preta Tests, in that how much char one should add to a soil plot for a
test is a tricky calculation. Interest shown in this spread sheet has
been rather conspicuous by its absence. Not one reply to the List. 51
visits to the TP Site to read th posting there, but the stats don't show
how many ppl. opened the Spread sheet. Actually, there were only 45
visits to the thread... I clicked in 6 times to see the level of
interest in it. 45 visits out of about 300 TP List Members = about 15%
of TP list people

2: "New Terra Preta" Test Plots 5/14/2008 2:40 PM
I initiated this thread, because of Lou's important observation that
Biochar needs some beneficial, encouraging and helpful metrics to
stimulate the interest in Biochar. There was 1  on-line response to this
thread. The good news is that the 1 response is infinitely better than
Zero Responses. The bad news was that the response was from Lou, saying
that he wouldn't be able to do a New Terra Preta Test plot. In private
Correspondance, I had one person express interest in doing a char test.
Boo hoo. Only one. Uno.

In Internet Marketing, when people see notice of a message, thats an
"Exposure." When ppl read the message, thats a "Clickthrough." The
percentage of people who actually "click through to the mesage" is
called teh "Click Through Rate". When people act on a Message, thats a
"Conversion." Our "Click Through Rate" is 45/300 =15%, which is not bad,
but our Conversion rate to date is 1/300 = .3%, which is so dreadful
that it only happens in Internet Marketing Nightmares. It means some or
all of the following: