[Terrapreta] Biochar and the nitrogen cycle

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Mon May 19 08:39:17 CDT 2008

Char will decrease nitrogen run off, only if you convince farmers to decrease nitrogen application and since most farmers apply more nitrogen and other macro nutrients ( phosphorous and potassium ), than is actually needed any way in the belief that it is actually helping - I wish you good luck.

Only education alone in this area will actually stop the use of excess fertilizer.

Char can help by decreasing the amount needed to be applied at any one time, but until you can get the farmer past the belief that "more is better" all it will do is slow things down for a short time, until it is saturated, then it will go back to the same level of run off, if the application rates do not fall dramatically.

Greg H.