[Terrapreta] Biochar and the nitrogen cycle

Biopact biopact at biopact.com
Mon May 19 10:13:18 CDT 2008

Skyhigh fertilizer prices are currently making a lot of farmers think about lowering their application rates, I think.

The good thing about biochar amongst smallholders in the tropics is that most of them don't use fertilizer to start with. An intervention there to make agriculture more productive with char and fertilizer (the combination of which is most beneficial), can teach farmers about correct rates from the very start because rates would be optimized for use on char-amended soils. Obviously, access to knowledge and economic incentives are the key drivers for success here.

A formal N2O emissions market might come in handy, but I don't see this coming about anywhere soon.

Lorenzo