[Terrapreta] Biochar and the nitrogen cycle

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 19 08:56:06 CDT 2008

Hi Michael,

There are several Nitrogen oxides; nitic oxide:NO, nitrogen dioxide:NO2, nitrous oxide:N2O being the most prevalent and most important in terms of atmospheric pollutants.  Nitric oxide:NO and nitrogen dioxide:NO2 are molecules that can be produced by combustion of nitrogen in air with oxygen.  These reactions occur only at very high temperatures:  N2 + 2O2 => 2NO2 and N2 + O2 = 2NO.  NO and NO2 are emitted primarily from internal combustion engines that do not have catalytic converters and power plants.  One of the design elements of catalytic converters is to break up the compunds before they are emitted out the tailpipe.  Nitrogen dioxide:N2O is a brown colored gas and it is a principle component of smog.

Nitrous oxide:N2O is the important GHG and is not related to combustion.  It is 296 times more potetn than CO2 in the atmosphere as a green house gas contributer, mostly because of it longevity in the atmosphere.  From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide> ... Nitrous oxide:N2O is emitted by bacteria in soils and oceans.  Agriculture is the main source of human-produced nitrous oxide: cultivating soil, the use of nitrogen fertilizers, and animal waste handling can all stimulate naturally occurring bacteria to produce more nitrous oxide. The livestock sector (primarily cows, chickens, and pigs) produces 65% of human-related nitrous oxide.