[Terrapreta] pulverizing charcoal

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue May 20 20:25:20 CDT 2008

Dear Ray

A gram of charcoal typically has an internal surface area of about 400
square meters. A cube of charcoal weighing 1 Gram  would have a
dimension of about 1.44 cm on a side. The total apparent area of the
external surface would be about 12 cm^2. If you cut it into 8 cubes,
each of 1/2 the size, the apparent surface area would double to 24 cm^2.
To get an apparent surface area equal to the internal surface area of
the charcoal, you would have to reduce the size of the cube to 0.012/400
of the original 1.44 edge dimension, or about .0000432 cm, or say
.000432 mm, or say .432 microns. 200 Mesh Screen Size is about 72
micron... about the size of normal flour. Crushing or breaking up
charcoal will not make an appreciable or significant difference to
active surface area.

On the other hand, even moderate grinding will permit much more uniform
distribution of the char.

Best wishes,

Kevin