[Terrapreta] pulverizing charcoal--Hosting microbes

David Yarrow dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Wed May 21 12:33:50 CDT 2008

micropore size is definitely a key characteristic of biochar, and vegetation definitely has a wide variation in the size of the spaces in the cellulose fiber matrix.  i've seen no data on this yet, but in general, tropical plants (trees & herbaceous) have larger pore sizes than many temperate climate trees.  in this regard, i expect many smaller plants, and herbaceous plants, will offer similar larger size micropores, better suited to microbial habitat -- plus far easier to crush the coarse charred biomass to produce smaller pieces that are more easily assimilated into the soil's living biomass.

for a green & peaceful planet,
David Yarrow
44 Gilligan Rd, E Greenbush, NY 12061
www.championtrees.org