[Terrapreta] Roundup & Monsanto

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 25 03:24:42 CDT 2008

There are debates on many aspects of crops engineered to be resistant to
Roundup, and a scary one is that there could be transfer of the resistant
genes to some weeds. If this is correct then it could mean that (a) the
genes could transfer to many other plants and (b) some weeds would no longer
be able to be controlled by Roundup. So, full circle.

Irrespective, I don't believe that the introduction of food crops that are
resistant to any herbicide is in the best interests of the planet. The main
objective is to enhance one company's profits, and to provide that company
with increasing control of the world's food crops.

Fukuoka proved over a period of 25 years (up to 1978) that he could achieve
yields per acre as high as the most industrialised farming, and without
chemicals, fertilisers of machinery. Admittedly his labour inputs were
relatively high, but he had few other costs. His methods include building up
high levels of carbon in the soil, which he achieved mostly through mulch,
plus adding ash when available (which would inevitably have some charcoal).
Elaine Ingham claims that her methods can eliminate hard pans in as little
as 6 months, and produce soils with good tilth without the plough.

It seems clear that the addition of agricultural chemicals and fertilisers
reduces the "life" in soils. Add to this the compaction by machinery and the
soil becomes merely a substance in which to anchor plants, while they are
fed and watered artificially. Hydroponics on a grand scale.

There is another aspect to food production that Fukuoka mentions which isn't
normally in the productivity debates. Plants harvest energy from the sun. No
matter how good the soil is or how much fertiliser is added, the amount of
energy falling on an acre is the final determinant of how much biomass can
be produced.

Max H

  _____