[Terrapreta] a philosophy for TP conversation.

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun May 25 12:26:17 CDT 2008

Hello TP readers,

Of late there has been some discourse on this E-MAIL list about what is and what is not appropriate to talk about in the open forum.  Saying this amounts to a "topic police" has been met, also, with claims that we should shut up about that.

Now, I would like to suggest that everyone is free to choose to read or not read whatever they like.  Likewise, I think that it would be unproductive to force a "(what this) means test" for anyone to submit a posting here.  So what if a posting is "off-topic" for the 'terrapretalist's three approved and sanctioned topical headings; 1) TP for agriculture, 2) TP for carbon sequestration, 3) making charcoal for use in TP?  So what, if thinking about TP and all it implies brings to mind some idea that is not at the front of the in the mind of some one else on the list?  Creative thought, at least in my world, often times takes a lateral approach in thinking (aka off-topic).

So, I think we should welcome any comments, even "off-topic" ones.  If they are of interest inside the group anyone interested can continue the thread and talk about it, in the public forum.  The ones not interested can IGNORE it.  If it is not an interesting "off-topic" thread, then it can and will likely "die out", an uninteresting thread.

But, stomping on ANYONE for making mention of a topic that is not deemed pertinent to the topic of TP is wholly a SUBJECTIVE action, possibly insulting, and probably resulting in erosion of membership.   I think this is true unless we want an unending series of posts like, "YOU SHUT UP", NO YOU SHUT UP!", "YOU SOB, WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME TO SHUT UP WHEN I TOLD YOU TO SHUT UP!!!"

...king "off topic" this for a while people