[Terrapreta] a philosophy for TP conversation.

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun May 25 16:35:14 CDT 2008

Dear Jim

jim mason wrote:
> volume is as much an issue as topic.

To misquote Dean Martin slightly, "Keep them posts and letters coming"!
1: They are "on topic" and relevant to Terra Preta.
2: People are learning how to make char
3: Your meaty posts raise the Signal to Noise ratio.
> if the high volume (number) posters do not self censure their volume,
> the list becomes overwhelming and people stop reading.  then the rest
> of us are left reading only the high volume posters, ad nauseum,
> saying things we mostly already know they have to say.
>
> this severely impoverishes a list.  quality of discussion declines.
> quality members that cannot follow every microbe of discussion just
> give up.

Neat observation!! I think you have just formed the core concept of
"Mason's Internet List Law", that would go something like this:
"When the Signal to Noise Ratio decreases to a given level because of
increased Noise from Low Quality posters, the Quality posters who submit
the Signal Posts get frustrated and leave to join similar Lists
elsewhere. This will lead to a cascade effect, as the Signal to Noise
Ratio increases further because of the decreasing input of Quality posts.
> off topic complaints usually mean the volume of particular individuals
> is too high, and someone is being nice trying to not single out the
> offenders.
>
> i am guilty of this sin on other lists and progressively try to
> moderate myself (to varying success, of course).

Nobody has any valid basis for complaining about your "recent rash of
postings".
1: You are actually doing something relevant to the objectives of the list.
2: You are kind enough to share your knowledge with the List
3: We are learning from your postings.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the List Villains, I  propose that
we ALL become List Policemen  as follows:

BEFORE we make a Posting to the Terra Preta List, we each ask ourselves
the following questions:

1: If I submit this posting, will  it help  toward meeting the List
Objectives?
2: If I don't submit this posting, will it retard attainment of List
Objectives?

If we don't get at least one "Yes", then we should, not submit the posting.

Do you think that would help increase the Signal to Noise Ratio, and
help retain Quality Members?

Best wishes,

Kevin