[Terrapreta] Hello, I am a major investor

Ruy Korscha Anaya de la Rosa korscha at gmail.com
Tue May 27 04:00:47 CDT 2008

Lorenzo,

I have been doing that exercise myself to find an investor for one Terra
Preta project in India. It has not been easy.

I have encountered that in the Carbon Market, CDM or "Voluntary", the
buyers might be picky with the projects. The potential investors in the
"voluntary" scheme are actually more demanding as far as the image that the
project could give them is concerned and they look for "sexy" projects, as
one of these carbon credit's buyer told me.

To my humble opinion, and if I understood you well when you wrote
"voluntary" (between quotation marks) to yours as well, this kind of
mechanism is not very 'altruist' for companies interested in buying VERs
(Verified Emission Reductions). There is always the marketing and publicity
behind. Companies wish to become "green" or "carbon neutral" for their
clients to choose their product or services over the "polluting" competition
. So, it is the population who push for the investor's 'will'. Nowadays,
people are opening their eyes and prefer to buy an "eco-friendly" product or
service. As a company, if you are not able to fulfill your customers' demand
you are going down.

Therefore, I take the liberty to recommend you to focus on what kind of
investor you are approaching so you can sell them what they want to
hear/buy.

Some companies are interested in projects involving women, children or
elderly people. Technology providers might be interested in cutting edge
wind turbines, solar cells or hydrogen-motored vehicles. Some might be
sensible on poorer countries such as in Africa. Others are keen on investing
in a country where they have offices and/or conduct operations. I have ran
into companies, which job is related to water, so they want projects having
an impact on that liquid. By the way, 2008 is the United Nations
International Year of the Potato so I have been inquired about an emission
reduction potato project. Etc.

We have read about the reasons for promoting a Terra Preta project that
could be use to persuade the investor. Nevertheless, I've experienced that
besides giving cast-iron arguments, the best strategy is to take the
investors to the project site so they could see, smell, feel, live and
embrace the benefits by themselves.

Hasta ver no creer,

Ruy