[Terrapreta] a good story

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri May 30 09:59:23 CDT 2008

Lou

The story sounds like a book I once read about similar divinatory
materials - The visionary vine - This is a story about the
hallucinatory plant of the genus Banisteriopsis . I read the book
about 40 years ago and could not find the title on Amazon.com. But
this book 'the rough guide to Brazil 6' mentions Banisteriopsis and
how the cult has spread to fashionable areas of Sao Paulo and Rio de
Janiero where intellectuals participate in visionary ceremonies.

I researched these materials during the  late 1960's , a period when I
was researching and testing myself for my own book which I wrote and
published in 1970, Poisonous and Hallucinogenic Mushrooms. Another
person who at the time was a Ph.D student of  famous Harvard professor
Dr Richard Schultes also told me many stories of the era and his
travels in Brazil and Peru. These were heady times so to speak but to
put this information to the general public is taboo as this is how
psychedelia was introduced to the general public by Dr Tim Leary and
others. Now in 2008 there are no reasons to believe the optimism of
the era that these hallucinogens in general use can have personal and
society wide benefits.

What happened was a transfer to intoxication like in booze, rather
than divination. Ie 'getting stoned'  You know the rest of the story.
Most people have no comprehension there is any other state of mind
than intoxication.  There is nothing different in the activity of the
alkaloid in Banisteriopsis than LSD, Psilocybin or Dimethyl tryptomine
(DMT). Please be careful with this and keep this information to your
inner circle because it only encourages abuse.

I can only guide you to the abundant literature on the physiology of
this class of materials. I can tell you from experience that 6 species
of Psilocbe and Stropharia have subtile differences in effect even
though it is 30 years since I imbibed.

My advice that I wrote in my book is to give yourself a limited
lifetime budget for the use of this and these materials. I compared
using hallucinogens to befriending a wolverine . Such soft, beautiful
fur and yet faster than you can perceive she will run her teeth up
your arm. There are many people who have never recovered from an
unguided trip during the 1960's, no different than a Viet Nam veteran
still dealing with the demons of his experiences.

This is why as a shamanistic ritual the seer is the user or who guides
the 'group' through the ritual.

Be careful

Rich Haard