[Terrapreta] biochar and gek on worldchanging.com

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Sat May 31 17:16:15 CDT 2008

jer faludi wrote a very generous article about the our gasifier
experimenters kit (gek) for worldchanging.com this week.  the article
is here: http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/008070.html.  the
article is a bit overstated in that the gek does not currently offer a
dedicated pyrolysis reactor, though it is in the works.  that "bolt
in" is coming in a couple months.  the only currently offered reactor
is for downdraft gasification, which is what is pictured in the
article.

my favorite part of the article is jer included the main chart from
the paper posted here a month ago about the impact of various biomass
pathways back to gas in the atmosphere, and the ghg footprint of the
various modes.  i found this chart and related summary in the article
deeply illuminating.  we muse about these pathways constantly.  that
paper was the first combined presentation/data i've seen on the
question.  i hope that paper and chart get picked up and passed more
widely.