[Terrapreta] Net Etiquette

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 03:16:30 CDT 2007

Just  a few points on Net Etiquette guys.
At the moment the  list is a very noisy party with everyone talking at once.
To make it easier for everyone  to follow the  conversations and arguments,
could you please attend to a few rules?

1. Cut quoted text down to what you are currently replying to or what you
feel is the minimum necessary  for the group to understand your response.
Make sure we know what is quoted and what is you.
It is not necessary to keep posting and re-posting old emails on the topic.

2. Try to make your subject heading as relevant as possible. For two reasons
so people know what you are on about and can ignore or read your post
 and secondly it makes following the various conversations easier.
Eg "Reply to John" or "reply to digest number 100" could become "Soil
science and TP' or a Shakespearian, "To compost or not to compost" or 'Sugar
as a fertiliser?" whatever.

3 Be polite; remember the written word does not convey the emotion, tone and
sometimes the meaning you think it does. Especially as we have members from
all parts of the planet with varying amounts of English fluency. This is
what makes it such a great group so far.
 Treasure the diversity and have patience.
If you  decide to inform someone of a mistake, point it out politely

4 Try to leave gaps as paragraph markers in your messages.
One idea per gap.
This makes it easier to read than a solid, square block of letters/text.

5 This one is stolen from
http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule6.html
Which has a good run down on net Etiquette if you are new to Lists.
SEE:
http://www.albion.com/netiquette/
We seem to be doing this part well
 but
 don't be frightened to ask dumb questions or ask for more explanation.

> The Internet itself was founded and grew because scientists wanted to
> share information.

Gradually, the rest of us got in on the act.

So do your part. Despite the long lists of no-no's in this book, you do have
> something to offer.

 Don't be afraid to share what you know.

6. Don't get cranky, have fun.
 Terra preta is all very exciting and new, it touches on so many area of
science and our lives, and we all have so much to learn and much to share.
.--
Michael Bailes.
(Of the Royal and Illustrious Order of TP Moderators)

"Human beings,
who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of
others,
are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"