[Terrapreta] Sugar and urine experiments

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 22 23:41:35 CDT 2007

Hi Kurt,

Ammonium Nitrate is a salt (NH4NO3) and the main component of those bomb makers choice of chemical fertilizers. An aqueous solution of ammonium nitrate dissolves in the NH4NO3 molecules in water into two molecules (nitrous oxide) N2O, a gas and H2O, liquid water.
Decomposing the fertilizer completely in solution usually requires a fair amount of heat and/or time.

NH4NO3(aqueous) + heat -> N2O + 2H2O

Yes, N2O, nitrous oxide, is a heavier than air gas (laughing gas), but it is less dense than soil and it will "gas off" into the atmosphere.
It is a powerful green house gas, third on the list of contributors to global warming.  It's anthropogenic sources are larger than natural ones, I believe (although I may be mistaken on that).