[Terrapreta] Methane and pottery

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Aug 31 16:38:54 EDT 2007

       Photo E-mail   Play slideshow<http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqK6LQ*y*tj!VQ9D3GwufbX*U85hUQkbQEmicdXS6bsL!Q%24%24> | Download images <http://photos.msn.com/viewing/Photos.aspx?pi_Type=SlideshowTask&Task=Download&stppData=&pi_ImagesOnly=1&Folder=nBuRgwTGIGhKPWRvXLqz1Py2D6UuzwW4*hVRvxFNDRo%24&User=LJjObqfwa76VXbJZQ0kB*qDjg1qzizFW&pi_NoLogin=1>
Hi Robert,

All the CH4 in the stratosphere is not "consumed".  It has a half-life of 7 years in the oxygenated atmosphere.  I pointed this out to you.  It doesn't mean it all goes away in 7 years.  It does mean that half of what is there will go away in 7 years.  That does not necessarily mean the concentration is reduced by half in 7 years, either.  The concentration is a closed system measurement.
It needs to take into account the rates and the growth in the rates of both the in-fluxes and the out-fluxes.

It's simple math.  It's like balancing your church's checkbook!

     Church checkbook balance = current Church checkbook balance + debits - credits

     GHG concentration = current levels of GHG +  GHG inputs - GHG outputs

On average during recent times the measured CONCENTRATION is going up (look at the graphs below).  This absolutely means the inputs of atmospheric GHGs are exceeding and outpacing the outputs (e.g. degradation of CH4, absorption by the oceans, etc.).  It can be shown too, that human inputs of GHGs are the vast bulk of all the GHG inputs.
      <http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqK6LQ*y*tj!VQ9D3GwufbX*U85hUQkbQEmicdXS6bsL!Q%24%24>
      All GHG concentrations are going up, so (input - outputs) > 0.  This is not rocket science, its pictures.  Look at all the up slopes in these timed graphs.  This shows GHGs are ALL increasing recently.
      <http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1LmPLmC9HXTY9LVsn5oiMLNcNwcDMLfTqK6LQ*y*tj!VQ9D3GwufbX*U85hUQkbQEm3dtf2HHNpkQ%24%24>

In this graphic above. there is a picture of the globe, showing the locations of surface plumes of Methane-CH4.  They are around areas with known large populations.  They are showing where oil exploration is occurring in northern Alaska, disturbing the primordial Arctic permafrost and releasing Methane gas.  They are over jungles, too.  The new Methane plumes (increasing sources) on ON LAND, where people, animals, and livign things on land produce it.

This graphic shows concentrations from spanning 1.6 ppmv to 1.84 ppmv (ppmv = parts per million by volume, a tiny amount really), in full color separation.  The global average for surface Methane-CH4 concentration, as shown in the set of graphs above this one, has grown from 1.62 ppmv to 1.750 ppmv in just 25 years.  That spans this entire graphic!  The history of growth over the last 25 years alone of Methane-CH4 inputs to the system (global atmospheric concentration) are shown in this single graphic!

This is clear evidence that truly large increase in GHG have occurred and that recent human activity is primarily responsible for it.

You saying otherwise, does not help our cause.

You "naturally pospulated" that, huh?

Did it come to you this morning, that the bowl would smother maybe a "bowls worth" of charcoal?

You gotta start to grip the scope of this problem, Bob!  Releasing only 2% output of CH4 in the producer gas, coming from enough "open-air" earthen kilns to make 6 BILLION tons of charcoal every year, is just going to blow the current growth in Methane concentrations AWAY.

No where, worldwide, do we currently release anything like 2% Methane-CH4 concentrations, from the processes we do on an industrial scale.  2% is 20,000 parts per million, Bob.  That is way beyond the worst 1.84 ppm plume on that map above.

Do you get this now?  Are you missing the 10,000 fold expansion in Methane-CH4 emissions, that your proposal for making Terra Preta will bring to the world?