[Terrapreta] True Solutions

Jon C. Frank jon.frank at aglabs.com
Fri Aug 31 16:49:16 EDT 2007

The problems we face today include Global Weather Disruptions as stated by
Sean.  That I agree with.  We see dramatic instances of cooling, warming,
drought, flooding, and total disruptions of regular weather patterns, etc.
ect.  To just say global warming is too simplistic and untrue.

We have many other problems as well.  These include degraded soil around the
world, foods with low nutrient density, poor human health, degraded
environment due to overuse of fertilizers and the use of GMO's and toxic
pesticides. In the west all these problems make for a gold mine for the
pharmaceutical/medical industry.

The supposed "solutions" bated around this list portray a top-down approach
with "leadership" provided by the United Nations and national governments.
There is also talk of following various initiatives such as the Kyoto
protocol and using carbon credits.  To trust the UN and various national
governments for true leadership is a joke.  Wake up and smell the coffee.
It won't happen.  Sure they will make a lot of talk and enact some sort of
binding legislation but it will not lead to any true solutions.

True Solutions will come about when we all do what we can to restore soil by
using all the tools at our disposal.  This includes both primitive charring
and industrial biochar. When private organizations, individuals, NGO's, and
companies lead that's when governments will follow--not the other way
around.

To dismiss primitive methods of charring because of a fear of producing
methane is ludicrous.  What is wood or biomass composed of?  Mostly gaseous
compounds combined with a small amount of minerals from the soil.  The
minerals remain with the charcoal.  If half the gasses in the wood are given
off back into the atmosphere during charring then at least half are put into
the soil as charcoal--that's progress.  Additionally the charcoal in the
soil helps create an environment that stimulates biology as David Y.
mentioned and leads to additional carbon sequestration.  A better soil
environment then starts working on the other problems listed above.

We have to change the way we live and vote for things with our pocketbook.
Soil restoration will correct the problems of degraded soil, poor food
quality, poor human health, and even assist in sequestering carbon to the
soil.  Signing the Kyoto protocol does nothing--just a rag and a lot of
bureaucrats flapping in the wind.

Jon
www.aglabs.com