[Terrapreta] Tree planting -- a bit more

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:15:45 EST 2007

But a forest only has an "end" in a catastrophic event. Otherwise, it just
continues in a kind of steady state recycling. Forest ecologists say that
the single MOST important component of an old-growth forest is the decaying
log on the forest floor which preforms vastly more essential functions than
does the standing tree.

By the way, we should not fall into the trap of viewing a forest solely in
terms of carbon transfer/storage. That would be as foolish as viewing it
solely in terms of construction products. A forest is a vibrant community of
life performing a multitude of ecosystem services and it cannot be reduced
to a few dimensions as is done with crops in tree farms.

--
http://lougold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/visionshare/sets/