[Terrapreta] Catalyst: Carbon Bigfoot

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Dec 8 17:53:44 EST 2007

Hi Duane,

You say:

One point that is rarely brought out is that if all the estimated quantities of fossil fuel were to be burned, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere would be increased only a few times - and would be far below the amount considered to be a direct health hazard.

Well, I think this is a pointless and specious argument.  There is a magnitudes higher concentration of CO2 in every breath you exhale, than even 1000 parts per million (that is ~3 times the current atmospheric CO2 concentration).  That is not even DIRECTLY hazardous to human health!  If you think the health concern is personal (and direct) death by asphyxiation from too high of CO2 concentrations in the air, then you missed the message on what the real danger of CO2 and other GHG in the Earth's atmosphere is.  The indirect effects on Global Climate caused increased GHG concentrations effect the living ecology for all living things on the planet (not just humans or animals, but plants too!).

What the IPCC has been stating and what the Nobel Prize winning scientific researchers have been studying for 40 years intensely (Global Climate Science) is the INDIRECT effects on human health and climate stability, that are caused by increased Green House Gas concentrations and the consequent Global Warming.  Most living species cannot adapt to unstable (changing) climates nearly as well as we can.  Humans have yet to deal with living in a world where it is difficult to near impossible to grow food plants or find living animals to feed upon.

It is historically clear that an 18 degree C increase in atmospheric global temperatures made extinct 97% of all living species when it occurred 125 million years ago.  A 5 degree increase by the end of this century is expected to make extinct 40% of all living species that there are today.  With business as usual regarding GHG emissions rates and expected increases, we could be living in a world with a 10 degree C temperature increase (maybe living?) and 70% of all living species will go extinct by the end of this century!

A 10 degrees C increase will also show a 5-7 meter rise in sea levels by the end of the century.  100's of millions of people are living on land now that will be inundated with salt water (and unusable for crops or for living on) before this century is out.  Greater depth of and length of droughts, more flooding, widespread crop failures, and starvation will stress the human population.

Shallow thinking?!