[Terrapreta] C02 Tree Capture – how much carbon dioxide do trees really capture?

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 07:32:49 EST 2007

As far as I can see tropical forests do store CO2 and help global cooling.

Despite a couple of promising research papers I don't thing the jury can yet
decide about what happens in temperate forests.

there are other issues involved not just CO2. trees exhale a lot of water
vapour (the major green house 'gas') and the level of this in the air is
rising.

Then there is the albido effect.
Do all forests absorb or reflect light?
In Australia I would go for reflect.

Then there are wildfires contribution to planetary Co2.
(Australian forests should be regularly burnt to manage them properly.)

Then there is the soil micro-organisms and what they are exhaling

The University of Western Sydney has started on a long term study of
Australian tree growth trying to measure and control as many variables as
possible.

To produce char we have billions of tonnes of waste. erich knight quotes a
figure somewhere.
After we burn that  maybe then we might start on the forests.:)?
I would hope by then solar panels on every roof would replace burning coal
for electricity.
MA