[Terrapreta] Optimum size ( was torrefaction vs. Carbonization )

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 11:48:24 CST 2007

That's what I was talking about, the mass acting as one single large piece rather than many smaller pieces.    You see this happen with bales of straw or hay if they catch fire - it may take days ( if not longer ) for them to burn out.    A large bundle of news papers or a phonebook tossed into the fireplace act's much the same way.

When that happens, it would then take longer to char a given amount of material if it chars all the way through at all.

I have been bouncing it around in the back of my head and I would think that optimum particle size, depends on a number of factors, including size of retort/kiln, rate of feed, material type ( hard wood vs. soft woods / high VM content vs. low VM content ), so on and so forth.

A dry softwood of low VM content, ( like aspen / willow / cottonwood ) it might be ok to have in large chunks in a large retort/kiln but something like oak, you probably want smaller pieces in a smaller retort/kiln for a given amount of time.    A wood like pine might be somewhere in between.

A continuous fed retort/kiln would probably require a smaller particle size regardless of the material, while a batch retort/kiln could make do with larger pieces.

Is my thinking flawed in this regard?

Greg H.