[Terrapreta] volatile matter and char

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Dec 24 23:33:27 CST 2007

Microbial ecology makes an interesting study. For my wife's grad
studies her topic was a nematode trapping fungus named Arthrobotrys.
In a culture dish as long as you care to keep it going Arthrobotrys
would never use all of their eelworm food source. Always seemed to
reach a predator - prey balance. As a technique for biological control
of plant parasitic nematodes in crop plants such an approach then
could only at best keep populations in check.

The context of the JP-4 utilizing fungus arose during late 60's when
planes were falling from the sky with plugged fuel filters and to the
amazement of microbiologists at the time these fungi were actually
utilizing this material as  an energy source. A biological water
treatment system to clean up such organics where a recirculating
system was used would better clean contaminants rather that the slow
circulation in an aquifer and generally the absence of microbes as the
soil itself acts as an effective particulate filter.

In the context of terra preta I listened to a lecture by  Dr Craig
Ventner on C-Span this afternoon on his work collecting and
identifying DNA from sea water on a cruise from Atlantic, Canada to
the Galapagos. On the trip with routine sampling he was able to
identify many thousands of unique DNA collections that came from
viruses, bacteria and other organisms. Most of these were unknown to
science and most significant to terra preta he could actually
determine where the water was collected by its DNA profile.

In soils, DNA diversity  is equal to or greater than Craig Ventners
findings in seawater. In a lecture by Dr Elaine Ingham a few years ago
she spoke of soil DNA profiles indicating millions of species, most of
which were unidentified by science and diversity increasing to the
maximum in pristine habitats . The context of this in her talk was of
natural enrichment in the preparation of  compost teas that she
advocates. It is a highly aerobic, rapid fermentation process where
primarily beneficial bacteria are cultivated for plant protection
purposes.

I think what Larry with his charcoal pretreatment practice is
accomplishing is a similar selective enrichment for preparing charcoal
to use in soil. These findings are for sure preliminary and there may
be many other ways of handling the charcoal but the concept of
pretreatment  may very well result in a product so to speak that is
active in the soil immediately rather than waiting for natural
acclimation of the charcoal to the soil.  Selecting for organisms
capable of degrading or detoxifying this combustion product my mean
supplementing the soil with amino acids, (meat juices and boiled
bones) and urea, (urine) as Larry is doing or Glycine as Deluca in his
experimental work.

Ventners talk was most impressive

Rich