[Terrapreta] Marketing comment for TP. (was volatile matter andchar)

PurNrg at aol.com PurNrg at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 14:37:13 CST 2007

In a message dated 12/26/07 12:18:01 PM, gregandapril at earthlink.net writes:

> Pea Gravel has a problem of being very heavy and little porosity.
>
>  Expanded clay may or may not have good porosity, and while lighter than pea
> gravel, it is very expensive.

I use lots and lots of PermaTill . It's heat expanded shale graded about the
size of pea gravel. It's much more pouros, like pumice, and holds water and, I
would imagine, also colonies of micro organisms. When you pull plants out of
soil and pots amended with permatill you find the roots clutching the pieces
of shale. It does not biodegrade so it's a long lasting amendment which really
improves drainage. It's expense is it's only drawback. I can see where the
charcoal would act the same way but at this point it is harder to find and more
expensive.

Peter :-)>