[Terrapreta] How to enter the Virgin Earth Challenge?????????????

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Wed Feb 14 14:16:22 CST 2007

> I wonder how,  as diverse as TP Technology is, that we can enter this
> Challenge?
>

> I have at least twice sent my TP technology Post directly to Virgin Atlantic
> in the past six months , with no reply.

i've been wondering this too.  i too have been sending TP related
things to them for some time.  obviously many of us are and will.

i have no idea how they are going to adjudicate this contest.  there
are several technological answers already.  the problem is political
and regulatory (as in what are the economic realities that follow from
how the regulatory playing field is defined).

casting the contest as a contest of science is good pr, but bad
science, as it is not really a science problem.  these are smart
people.  they surely know this.  and also know the focussing effects
of money and these names in the form of a global contest will have the
benefits of big traction vastly more important than some semantic
problems with their promotional vehicle.

i've been thinking that the best way we might engage this with TP
concerns, would be to forgo a ton of different individuals submitting
their TP rant to them, and instead create a TP
institute/foundation/working group, which is essentially this list and
related networks, and submit as this group.  any potential monies goes
to the research/advocacy entity, which then redistributes the money in
the form of grants, through peer review.

i think a proactive approach by the large TP community as to how to
position TP in front of branson et al would be much better than this
throwing the problem at them and letting them figure out what to do
with 100 or so different TP applications, which they are surely to get
once they send out the formal application procedures.

as TP seems by far the most attractive carbon abatement scenario i
have yet to come across, with so many ancillary benefits across other
critical problems, i cannot see how the TP proposal is not going to
win this contest in the end.

so i propose that we organize ourselves as a group for the
application.  such would better the likelihood of a good hearing and
more helpfully distribute the winnings across researchers that will
use it to advance important work.

also, it would more accurately acknowledge that TP is not the idea or
genius of any one individual, but really a collaborative effort across
many disciplines, specialities and individual contributors.

if we had such a proposal, i can likely route it through some
intermediaries and have it land directly on the relevant desks
immediately.

jim