[Terrapreta] Wood Char Available

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Feb 15 13:16:40 CST 2007

Thomas,

Some members of this discussion should be interested in using large
quantities.

Can you help us understand the capabilites of existing charcoal producers? I
have the impression that the horticultural market is one that is
underdeveloped from a bulk delivery point of view.

How do you deliver char for bulk or wholesale distribution today? Bulk? By
the 20/40 lb bag only? By bigbag /superbag? Do you have customers who are
buying charcoal in bulk? Nurseries? Crop farmers? Or has agriculture
primarily been buying activated carbon for uses like carbon banding,
chemical absorption etc.

What is a truckload? Is this a truckload of bagged charcoal on pallets? How
much charcoal can be delivered in a truckload? How far can you haul charcoal
economically? 200 miles?

Product characteristics. I assume that you make charcoal from both hardwoods
and softwoods. Do you differentiate betwen species or does it all go in
together? Do you use a charcoal grading scheme? What is the grading
criteria? Is charcoal in the US tested for volatiles? Is that part of the
grading? Are there ASTM standards or industry products standards? Are there
EPA (NPDES) regulations that apply to charcoal composition or
characteristics for land application?

A general question: if we are able to raise the awareness (and knowledge) of
charcoal use in agriculture, horticulture, landscaping etc. what is the
capacity of the existing US industry to suppy demand? How quickly could the
industry meet increased demand? Is there a minimum practical size
(tons/year) for a charcoal production facility?

Many thanks

Tom Miles

  _____