[Terrapreta] Charcoal in Compost? 4USA?

code suidae codesuidae at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:12:23 EDT 2007

On 7/8/07, LarrynLynnHanlon at cs.com <LarrynLynnHanlon at cs.com> wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering if here in the USA, if any of your
> delegates/volunteers are  working at making the rounds to get your info to
> ALL the recycle centers, especially those that offer compost to the local
> residents.

That is a good idea, but the few people I've talked to about it had no idea
what TP was or why you would add charcoal to soil, other than to adjust pH.
If you want to suggest this action to any compost producer, I'd suggest
giving them some paperwork describing the idea and the benefits, along with
links to relevant websites. I'd include information about biochar carbon
sequestration (a popular idea in the media right now) as well as the
increased productivity and longevity of TP soils.

I wouldn't expect city compost operations to pick up on it, but local garden
centers might since it is a relatively cheap and easy way to add a fairly
unique 'green' product to their offerings.

DK
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know." - M. King
Hubbert