[Terrapreta] carbon and compost

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Jul 14 13:12:37 EDT 2007

Edward,

Good question. $20/tonne will usually only pay for preprocessing biomass to
a fuel or feedstock. It will not pay for making a product.

Processing only, no biomass cost. Our economic analysis shows that char must
be produced as a co-product of oil, heat or power for the charcoal portion
to be processed for $20-25/tonne biomass. We've looked as much as possible
at operating plants. There aren't many. We haven't taken a detailed look at
a plant to produce only char. We don't have information for large volume
commercial charcoal plants. Our processing estimates for  100 and 200 tpd
plants producing oil are $90/tonne and $65/tonne. Of that $20-30/tonne is
for capital, $45-$60/tonne biomass is for operations including labor. We
estimate that labor is 20% to 25% of processing costs. Processing costs
increase about 40% for the smaller plant.

ABRI does not have a system in commercial operation yet. I took the ABRI
estimate in the article cited at face value, as stated. They estimated $2/GJ
and 10 GJ of oil per tonne of biomass so $20/tonne of biomass.

Fuel costs. $20/tonne is a reasonable place to start. As I stated our
delivered urban wood costs are about $20/tonne. Actual costs are higher but
they are offset by fees and subsidies. We remove field crop residues at
$20-25/tonne. If you have to put them in storage and deliver them to
processing on a year-round basis then the cost goes up to $45-50/tonne.
Forest residues delivered to the nearest location where they can be
processed are $20-$50/tonne.

What are the biomass and charcoal processing costs in Hungary?

Tom

QUESTION

Which of the modern pyrolysis system (that meets new environmental and
agro-industrial regulations)  cost $40 to harvest and process a ton of
straw?  ($20/ton harvest and field side/store; $20/ton to Process; 20% yield
of char) as of your specification?

Could you pls identify at least one modern and operationally viable
pyrolysis unit in industrial scale in the Western World that meets US/EU
standards and still cost as low as $40/ton production?

Tks

Sincerely yours: Edward Someus (environmental engineer)
Terra Humana Clean Technology Engineering Ltd.

.