[Terrapreta] Neo Terra Preta Roadmap

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Sat Jun 2 16:14:34 CDT 2007

Dear Terra  Preta list Colleagues

Sean Barry, Ron Larson and others have been corresponding with respect to
getting a summary of information together on terra preta - possibly
following the Wikipedia format.

I first encountered a study/documentation process a few years ago known as a
technology roadmap. The first example I know of was devised by the Electric
Power Research Institute. A quick check reveals it was started in 1997. The
2003 version is posted on the Internet. The basic idea is to review and
document technology benefits, development needs, and actions needed to move
the technology into the future. I recall, maybe incorrectly,  that carbon
emissions were an original impetus. Here is a link.

http://www.epri.com/roadmap/

This next link is from Natural Resources Canada. It provides a link on a
clean coal roadmap.  It is helpful as it provides a link describing
technology "Roadmaps" in general and another to a carbon capture and storage
roadmap.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/combustion/cctrm/htmldocs/cctrm_main_e.ht
ml

The how to of roadmapping follows;

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/trm-crt.nsf/en/h_rm00049e.html

This next one on carbon capture and storage almost provides an outline for a
Neo Terra Preta Roadmap

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/combustion/co2trm/htmldocs/ccstrm_main_e.
html

I note that these roadmaps run 100 to 200 pages. The process might be
something the group wants to emulate. I'm sure Sean Barry can take a little
kidding, so I'll suggest he could draft one for Neo Terra Preta comparable
to the 200 page EPRI road map in a week or less.

Duane