[Terrapreta] "Our roots don't cast shadows"

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Jun 2 23:07:12 CDT 2007

Hi Duane,

You say,

Its hard ... to remember what is going on without a little bit of background.  The quote is the root for the present.

Agreed, Duane.

Today, Andrew kicked me about "flaring the off gas" from a charcoal kiln.  Ron Larson caught me about this yesterday too.  So, I looked at it again, analyzed it a bit more (you (and Ron) can see this in my post to Andrew).  I decided in the end, that he and Ron Larson are right about this.

If you do not flare the methane, burning it into CO2 and H2O, then you put more green house gas effect into the atmosphere than the CO2 you avoid by taking it out as sequestered carbon.

If you don't flare the gas, then you lose on the green house gas mitigation game for more than 150 years.
Too late, I'd say.

Flare the off gas.  Flare the off gas.  Make it like a mantra.