[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Jun 6 01:20:27 CDT 2007

How much are you willing to pay?$200/ton of carbon (charcoal)?

$200/ton C x 4 tons per person per year x 300,000,000 people = $240 billion.
That's the value of all the fossil fuels we import each year, or about half
the cost of the Iraq war, by the time you read the morning paper.
http://costofwar.com/ Let's spend the money at home.

It's  about three times our annual farm production expenditures.  We spend
$10 billion per year on farm fuels and about $20 billion per year on
chemicals and fertilizers. Can we decrease our farm inputs and increase our
agricultural productivity by using terra preta? We run a positive
agricultural trade balance of about $6 billion per year.  Can we increase
our international competitiveness by investing in our own resources?

It starts with  settling our carbon account at home.

Tom